Thursday, November 1, 2018

Gems from November 1- 10, 2018

November 1

“But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour:
yet what I shall choose  I wot not.”
(Philippians 1:22)

The Scriptures speak of fruit in various senses. For instance, Paul wished to go to Rome that he 
“might have some fruit among you”

In Matthew 3:8 we read of fruits meet for repentance.
This no doubt referred to the general walk and behaviour.

John 15 speaks much of fruit: and we do well to give good heed to it: yet at the same time remember the subject is fruit-bearing, and not eternal life.

Then we have the fruit of the Spirit: “Love, Joy, Peace,“ etc., Nine lovely graces, 
yet only spoken of as “fruit”, not fruits: for they all have one Source.

In John 4:36 we read, “He that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal”.
This fruit would appear to be souls for their hire.
(G. Christopher Willis)

N.J. Hiebert - 7258 

November 2

“And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified Him . . . Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”
(Luke 23:33-34)

Those who sat around the cross to watch the Saviour die thought that
His death was His utter and irretrievable defeat. 
Our Lord had said,

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, that ye shall weep and lament,
but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful,
but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.”
(John 16:20)     

The cross for the time blasted all the hopes of the chosen disciples; they forsook Him and fled.
They mourned and wept, hiding away for fear of the Jews. Some were so filled with black despair that even the report of His resurrection did not sufficiently interest them to take them to the grave to see for themselves.

They turned their backs sadly on Jerusalem and went home to Emmaus.  The companionable Stranger who walked with them made their hearts burn within them as He opened to them the Scriptures.

Complete despair so filled their spirits that they even told the Stranger of the witness of the angels to the women at the grave, and ended with the hopeless words, “but Him they saw not.”
(Plant of Renown - Leonard Sheldrake) 

N.J. Hiebert - 7259

November 3

“Now our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and God, even our Father . . . comfort your 
hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.”
(2 Thessalonians 2:16-17)

The more one ministers Christ Himself the more you can count upon divine assistance.
To exalt Christ is to be in communion with the mind of God.
This will be our sole employment in heaven.

One lesson is our absolute dependence upon the power of God every time we speak;
it is not our liberty nor our words, but it is the power of God
that affects the souls to whom we speak.

A preacher will be so conscious that only divine power can touch a soul
that he will rest in God about it.
(Edward Dennett) 

N.J. Hiebert - 7260

November 4

“And said to the mountains and rocks, fall on us and hide us from the face of Him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb.”
(Revelation 6:16)

"The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.”
(Proverbs 18:10)

It is a normal reaction to run from danger and usually that’s the safest thing to do.
Upon advance warning we’ll endeavour to get out of the path of tornadoes, hurricanes and other storms.

However many today are in danger of the storm of God’s wrath (Romans 1:18) 
and are choosing to run from Him.

Yet unlike natural disasters it’s impossible to escape.
The only choice is to turn around and run directly to Him.
Which direction are you running?
(George Ferrier)

When I soar to worlds unknown see thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.
(A. M. Toplady)

N.J. Hiebert - 7261 

November 5

“What is it then?  I will pray with the spirit and I will
pray with the understanding also.”
(1 Corinthians 14:15) 

The New Prayer

Long have I prayed this prayer to Thee—
According to my need, give me
A little strength from day to day,
A little light along the way,
A little trust when fears are nigh,
A little peace when waves run high,
And with Thy love and joy fill up
The blessing in my little cup.

So have I prayed for long, but now—
According to Thy grace, giveThou!
Of my small measure take no heed,
Above, around my puny need
Pour out the treasures of Thy good,
Let Thy great goodness, like a flood, 
My meagre life fill and o’erflow
Till I unto Thy gifts shall grow,
Give joy exceeding all I sought,
And love beyond mine utmost thought;
Thy riches for my poverty,
According to Thy grace, give me.
(FlLINT’S BEST-LOVED POEMS

N.J. Hiebert - 7262

November 6

“Even to your old age I am He; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you:
I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, 
and will deliver you.”
 (Isaiah 46:4)
 

“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”
(Hebrews 13:5)

“Don’t let go, Dad!”
“I won’t. I’ve got you. I promise.”
I was a little boy terrified of the water, but my dad wanted me to learn to swim. He would purposefully take me away from the side of the pool into a depth that was over my head, where he was my only support. Then he would teach me to relax and float.
It wasn’t just a swimming lesson; it was a lesson in trust. I knew my father loved me and would never let me be harmed intentionally, but I was also afraid. I would cling tightly to his neck until he reassured me all would be well. Eventually his patience and kindness won out, and I began to swim. But I had to trust him first.
When I feel “over my head” in a difficulty, I sometimes think back on those moments. They help me call to mind the Lord’s reassurance to His people: “Even to your old age I am He; and even to hoary hairs will I carry, and will deliver you. (Isaiah 46:4).
We may not always be able to feel God’s arms beneath us, but the Lord has promised that He will never leave us (Hebrews 13:5). As we rest in His care and promises, He helps us learn to trust in His faithfulness. He lifts us above our worries to discover new peace in Him. 
By James Banks - Our Daily Bread
N.J. Hiebert - 7263
                  "Our Daily Bread,  RBC Ministries,  Copyright (2018)  Grand Rapids, MI.  Reprinted permission." 

November 7

"I am the the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me."
(John 14:6)

His Way

God bade me go when I would stay
('Twas cool within the wood);
I did not know the reason why.
I heard a boulder crashing by
Across the pathway where I stood.

He bade me stay when I would go;
"Thy will be done," I said.
They found one day at early dawn,
Across the way I would have gone.
A serpent with a mangled head.

No more I ask the reason why,
Although I may not see
The path ahead, His way I go;
For though I know not, He doth know,
And He will choose safe paths for me.
(The Sunday School Times)

N.J. Hiebert - 7264

November 8

"The righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. . . Christ Jesus whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.”  (Romans 3:22-23,25)

- The righteousness which is by faith is “unto all,” like the Sun shining in the heavens:
but the application is individual, “upon all.”

- When a man gets into the truth of his position Godward,
he finds God in the truth of His grace.

- The Cross is like a lighthouse,—casting its light before and behind. 
- True separation does not go on a legal basis, but goes along with the path of faith.

- To entertain legal thoughts, is as much as to say that He need not have gone so far in His grace.
(Hunt’s Sayings - Rochfort Hunt)

N.J. Hiebert - 7265

November 9

The door of the Word can only be opened with the key of diligence!

"Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me.” John 5:39

The Greek word here rendered "search" signifies a strict, close, diligent, thorough search—
such as men make when they are seeking gold. 

We must not rest content with having given a superficial reading to a chapter or two, 
but with the candle of the Spirit, we must deliberately seek out the spiritual essence 
of the Word. Holy Scripture requires searching—much of it can only be learned by
careful study.  There is milk for babes, but also meat for strong men.

 We must dig and mine, until we obtain the hidden treasure.  
The door of the Word can only be opened with the key of diligence! 

The Scriptures warrant searching. They are the writings of God—
dare we treat them with levity?

He who despises them—despises the God who wrote them. 
God forbid that any of us should leave our Bibles to become 
swift witnesses against us in the great day of account. 

The Word of God will repay searching. 
Scripture grows upon the student. It is full of wonders!

The Scriptures reveal Jesus: “They are they which testify of Me." 
No more powerful motive can be urged upon Bible readers than this: He who finds 
Jesus finds life, Heaven, all things.  Happy is he who, searching his Bible, discovers his Saviour!
(Charles Spurgeon)

N.J. Hiebert - 7266

November 10

“. . . bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.”
(2 Corinthians 10:5)

A soldier must obey.
He cannot serve his country if he does his own will.

Jesus was obedient.
He, the Creator of the world, always submitted to His Father’s will.
He set His face toward Jerusalem, to be crucified.
He was obedient unto the death of the cross.

That was His way to resurrection.
It is also the way for His followers, 
for only the way of obedience, the way of crucifixion, 
leads to resurrection.  
(Corrie Ten Boom)

N.J. Hiebert - 7267

November 11

“Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again,
he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
(John 3:3)

“For sin shall not have dominion over you . . .”
(Romans 6:14)

I do not get rid of sin till Christ changes this vile body, but sin has no longer dominion over me.
In being made a new creature in Christ, the body is not changed, but a new nature is 
communicated, and we are brought into the light; and while walking 
in the light, we have a good conscience.  

The root of sin is there still, but the heart occupied with Christ does not go out to see sin.
But if a saint leaves that place, and gets occupied with things down here,
he wil lose the power which, being in the light, gives the heart 
to detect everything contrary to it.

If I get out of that blessed place to which the Father brought me when He sought me out,
I am back where evil reigns, I get where every one has likes and dislikes,
then sorrow comes and chastisement.
(Gleanings - G. V. Wigram)

N.J. Hiebert - 7268  

November 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gems from May 11- 20, 2024

  "The light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of  Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:6) The disfigured face of Jesus ...