Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Gems from October 1- 10, 2019

October 1

WHERE  ELSE  CAN  WE  GO?

Lord, to whom shall we go?
John 6:68

Peter gives three reasons for being a Christian.
He begins with the poorest, but it will do to start.

It is a matter of alternatives.
If we do not take Jesus’ way, what
 else can we do?  What are the other options? 

Look up any other road and what do  you see?
It comes to this: it is Jesus Christ or else.  There is only
one Book that has the Answer and Jesus Christ is that Answer.

I do not understand everything in the Book, but I stand on everything in it.
I look every other direction and I see only 
depravity, despair, and death.

Where could I go but to my Lord?
Vance Havner

N.J. Hiebert - 7592

October 2

Jonathan and His Times

And Jonathan said to David, go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the name of the LORDsaying, the LORD be between me and thee, and between my seed and thy seed for ever. And he arose and departed: and Jonathan went into the city.   1 Samuel 20:42

And Barnabas  determined to take with them John whose surname was Mark.  But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work. And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other.  
Acts 15:37-39.

There is a remarkable similarity between Jonathan in the Old Testament and Barnabas in the New. Both were gracious and affectionate; both were signally used of God in their day; but both manifested deplorable weakness in a moment of crisis.

Barnabas broke with Paul, special vessel of the Spirit in his time; and Jonathan parted with David, Jehovah’s choice for the throne of Israel.  In both cases, natural affection was the snare; Barnabas could not give up John Mark, and Jonathan could not give up Saul.  

The break-down of these truly excellent saints is recorded for our instruction.  Perhaps there is nothing that so hinders full loyalty to Christ as natural affection.  We find it so difficult to give Him the place of absolute supremacy in our hearts and lives. 

In Luke 14:26 the Lord Jesus points out a similar path for all who would be His disciples.  The natural must be subservient to the spiritual if we would follow Him.  The rejected One—our God in "the likeness of sinful flesh” laid it down emphatically, “He that loveth father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me” Matthew 10:37   
What a test for our hearts!
(W.W. Feredy)

N.J. Hiebert - 7593

October 3

SUNFLOWERS

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord,
are changed into the same image from glory to glory,
even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
2 Corinthians 3:18

Sunflowers lend us a wonderful example, and provide us with a great analogy.  They seek
the direct light of the sun and follow it’s trajectory across the sky, always turning 
their faces toward it.  Shouldn’t we be Son-flowers, looking to the Son, our 
Lord Jesus, for light and life, following Him as we go through our days? 

Our verse reminds us that the more we expose ourselves to Him, the more we will reflect
His glory and become like Him.  When Moses had spent 40 days with the Lord
atop Mt. Sinai, his face was shining from that exposure.  It wasn’t that
he was trying to shine—he just shone!  We can never get 
too much exposure to the Son of God.  

Sunflowers don’t just absorb the light and life from the sun, they also bear seeds - the
fruit of that life.  Now, how about you and me?  Are our lives producing 
fruit for God from our following the Son?  Jesus said:

He that abideth in Me, and I in Him, the same bringeth forth much fruit:
for without Me ye can do nothing.  John 15:5.

Let’s keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of faith. 
L.I.F.E. LINES - F. Pratt - Thanks

N.J. Hiebert - 7594    

October 4

In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
Ephesians 1:7

Why, to be sure, that is a thing of course.  Who would think of asking a person up in heavenly places,  "Are you forgiven?”  Did you ever observe in the parable of the prodigal son that the father never  says he forgives him?  How could he?  How could he frame his lips to say, “I forgive you?”

You and I ought to walk in the sunshine of our calling in such a way as to assume forgiveness as 
a thing at the foot of the hill, while we are up at the heights.  Let the music and dancing,
the ring and the shoes, tell me I am forgiven. 

So the Father treats the prodigal, and so the Spirit treats us in Ephesians 1. Yet the soul is constantly busying itself about forgiveness when it should be viewing the magnificence of its calling in Christ.

There is a style in love that love could never rid itself of.  The father would have wept to say, "I forgive you.” Would not you be ashamed to tell one coming back in sorrow, confessing his fault, “I forgive you?” Talk of a father, on the neck of his weeping, penitent child, saying, I forgive you”!  How little we know of the ways of love!
J.G. Bellett

N.J. Hiebert - 7595 

October 5

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman 
that needeth not to be ashamed.
2 Timothy 2:15

Exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work.
2 Thessalonians 3:12

In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.
Isaiah 30:15

In the vineyard of our Father daily work we find to do;
Scattered gleanings we may gather, though we are but young and few.

Toiling early in the morning, catching moments through the day,
Nothing small or lowly scorning, while we work and watch and pray.
(Author unknown)

N.J. Hiebert - 7596

October 6

Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.
1 Peter 5:7

Is every illness out of the plan of God?
I should not say so, for after all, we are training for 
higher service, and I know that suffering can be part of that training.

However, giving too much attention to little symptoms is playing into the hands of the enemy.
He uses illness to depress us, until we see things out of all proportions to their real value.

So we must also turn to the Lord with those “little" symptoms.  He knows
how difficult it can be to work when feeling unwell, and He is able
to give the strength needed for that which we must do.

Perhaps He is just saying to us that we should draw apart for a little
while and let ourselves be refreshed by Himself.
This Day is the Lord’s - Corrie Ten Boom

N.J. Hiebert - 7597

October 7

The goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance.
Romans 2:4

It is His goodness that leads man to repentance, and not man’s repentance that leads 
God to goodness.

This conviction ends in his conversion.  The prodigal was converted when he rose 
and came to his father.  He was confessing his sins when he said, 
Father, I have sinned against heaven and before thee. 

He was repentant when he said, I am no more worthy to be called thy son.

Repentance is the judgment which the soul passes upon itself in the presence of God, believing 
the testimony of God.  Repentance is not the stepping-stone to conversion.

Repentance is taking God’s part against myself, and judging that what God says of me is true,
believing His testimony.

Faith is the soul’s reception of a divine testimony: repentance is the result in the soul of that reception. Some one has well said, Repentance is the tear drop in the eye of faith.” 

Very wisely and rightly then did Peter preach and press this wholesome moral 
process upon their souls, with this end in view.  

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out . . . Acts 3:19 .
Simon Peter - W. T. P. Wolston

N.J. Hiebert- 7598

October 8

As iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth
the countenance of his friend.
Proverbs 27:17

As by friction, one iron instrument is sharpened and polished by contact with another, so we may be a help to each other by interesting and profitable comunication and exchange of thought.

A recluse is always a very one-sided man.

He who would be a blessing to his fellows must mingle with them that he may learn to understand their needs and their sorrows, as well as that he may find gain by what in them is superior to his own knowledge or virtues.

Among Christians, fellowship one with another is precious indeed,
and becomes increasingly sweet as the days grow darker.
Proverbs - H. A. Ironside  

N.J. Hiebert - 7599

October 9

ABOUNDING PROVISION

I shall not want.  Psalm 23:1

These words are as firmly linked to the clause which precedes them, as consequence is to cause. With the Shepherd leading on in front of him, and “goodness and mercy”, like two faithful sheep-dogs, following hard behind him, David was as certain that he would not want  anything here, as he was that he would dwell in the house of the Lord hereafter.

Now, if for the moment we regard Psalm 23 as a sweet-toned instrument, and faith as the hand which plays upon it, we shall find that it yields to that touch, music of the most exquisite sweetness.  What is that “I shall not want”?
The hand of faith runs over the key board and brings out twelve distinct notes.  Listen to them:

I shall not want REST, for He maketh me to lie down.
I shall not want REFRESHMENT, for He leads me by still waters.
I shall not want PRESERVATION, for He restoreth my soul.
I shall not want GUIDANCE, for He leadeth me.
I shall not want PEACE, for I will fear no evil.
I shall not want COMPANIONSHIP, for Thou art with me.
I shall not want COMFORT, for Thy rod and staff comfort me. 
I shall not want SUSTENANCE, for Thou preparest a table.
I shall not want JOY, for Thou anointest my head.
I shall not want ANYTHING, for my cup runneth over.
I shall not want HAPPINESS now, for goodness and mercy shall follow me.
I shall not want GLORY hereafter, for I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
The Pearl of Psalms - George Henderson

N.J. Hiebert - 7600

October 10

YOUR  CONSOLATION  BROUGHT  JOY

In the multitude of my thoughts within me Thy comforts delight my soul. 
Psalm 94:19

The believer is not exempt from the adversities of life. He faces the same trials, afflictions, 
and testing that the unbeliever faces. He encounters reverses in business, exclusion 
from choice opportunities, and opposition from those who oppose him.
But there is a major difference in the resources of each.
The unbeliever stands alone to encounter these difficult times in his own strength and resources.  
He may have courage, fortitude, and be able to endure with determination. 
The believer has a refuge in Jesus Christ that supersedes
 anything this world has to offer. 

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  
Therefore will not we fear.  Psalm 46:1-2

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  Hebrews 13:5

I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.  
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay,
and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, 
and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.  Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his 
trust and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.  Psalm 40:1-4 

My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:19
Daily Devotions - Adapted

N.J. Hiebert - 7601

October 11

Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
John 20:29

How strong is the snare of the things that are seen, and how necessary for God 
to keep us in the things that are unseen!

If Peter is to walk on the water he must walk; if he is going to swim, he must swim, but he cannot do both.  If the bird is going to fly it must keep away from fences and the trees, and trust to its buoyant wings.  But if it tries to keep within easy reach of the ground,
it will make poor work of flying.

God had to bring Abraham to the end of his own strength, and to let him see that in his own body he could do nothing.  He had to consider his own body as good as dead, and then take God for the whole work;  and when he looked away from himself, and trusted God alone, then he became fully persuaded that what He had promised, He was able to perform.  

That is what God is teaching us, and he has to keep away encouraging results until we learn to trust without them, and then He loves to make His Word real in fact as well as faith. 
A. B. Simpson

I do not ask that He must prove His Word is true to me,
And that before I can believe He first must let me see.
It is enough for me to know ’tis true because He says ’tis so;
On His unchanging Word I’ll stand and trust till I can understand.
E. M. Winter

N.J. Hiebert - 7602

October 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gems from May 11- 20, 2024

  "The light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of  Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:6) The disfigured face of Jesus ...